Monday, November 26, 2007

filling holes

Ok, Why after 7 boys do I finally get a girl who is worse than all of them at certain things. Today my 2 year old princess shoved a popcorn kernel up her nose. None of the boys ever swallowed any foreign objects but the girl... she has to shove something up her nose. I don't get it. I can handle boys. They are predictable (sometimes considered stupid) but that is so easy to deal with. If you ever wonder what is next just think of something dumb and "presto" one of them will do it. Also, they are terrible liars which makes it very easy to figure out "who did it" The one thing you will never get out of a boy... So just don't bother asking... is, WHY. Why does a girl do things like that? I think it is because she is smarter and more creative. It is very difficult to understand for me. But she will actually tell you why she did it or at least make up a very believable lie. Thankfully my wife was able to retrieve the lost seed without blood or tears. I had to leave the room. This brings me to the question of how I handle stressful situations with the kids, ie: emergencies. With the boys it was easy. When one of them cut a hole in their ear roller blading... I tied a tourniquet around their head and it was fine. The key is to not panic. When one of them cut their head open on the couch and required stitches at 3, I did not panic. I almost panicked at the language he was spouting at the medical staff in the ER. Well, when I was ducking out of the room to hide the embarrassed laughter. He really gave that doctor an earful and it took three nursed to hold him down. I have strong kids and he is one of the toughest. I did not panic when a strange kid blasted another one of my boys in the eye with an aluminum softball bat. I just finished the softball game and went to the ER to relieve my wife. When another one tried to do a flip off the edge of the pool and slipped. I did not freak out at the sight of all the blood. I took him to the ER and he got staples. I took the staples out a few weeks later and the incident seem to actually make him smarter. He is almost careful around the pool. Ok, not really but it seems that way. When one of them stepped on a sea anemone at the ocean and had several dozen little barbs stuck in his foot, I didn't panic. I took him to the ER and had them removed and bandaged up. Oh wait, that happened to me. But still, I didn't panic!(much) I can't even count the number of fingers smashed in car, van or bedroom doors. Well, really there aren't that many. I guess if I break it all down we haven't had many ER runs especially when you consider how many kids we have. None of our kids have ever had a broken bone. None of our kids have ever been in a cast. We have been pretty lucky (knock on wood) and I, for one, am very grateful.

No comments: