Monday, August 20, 2007

How I met my wife

Sorry Honey. I know you have heard this story hundreds of times but I love it and love to tell it.
In the summer between 5th and 6th grade my family went on vacation to Long Lake, Alpena MI. We would stay at a place called Bethel Village. It was a glorified lakeside campground with a dozen or so postage-stamp sized cabins. The cabins slept 2 uncomfortably but were usually packed with families ranging from one kid up to 10 kids. I loved it. There was one tennis court, one basketball hoop, shuffle board (what's the point?) tetherball (also pointless) and a sweet raft! We had canoes, a pontoon boat, two docks to fish off, a playground, firepit and more kids that I can count. It was perfect. I was out in a canoe fishing for walleye with my dad when I pointed to a girl on the beach. "Dad, see that girl in the pink bathing suit?" "Yes" he replied, "That is Dick Wrubles' daughter isn't it?" "Yes" I said, "Someday I am going to marry her." I said with total confidence and innocent faith. To which he replied, "That is great Mike, just don't tell your mother."
For years I didn't understand why he said that until it dawned on me. My mom was her 6th grade teacher that year. My mom really liked her too. If I would have let the cat out of the bag earlier to her it may have upset the harmony in the universe or at least in our little Christian school.
Mary and I dated off and on throughout high school. Never in 6th through 8th grade. I didn't exist back then. It took going to a big, all-boys, Catholic, sports "power-house of a high school to get me noticed. But, whatever, it worked. If you ask me we were more off than on in high school and if you ask her we were more on than off. I was too intense. Hmm, has anything changed?
Over a decade and 8 kids later, my dad and I were right. I did marry that girl and no I did not tell my mother. Dad was smart. I was patient and Mary finally had a weak moment and said yes.

2 comments:

momwats8 said...

Hey you - I am glad you were relentless! lol I love you and miss you too. Wish you could have been here with us all!

Anonymous said...

Awww, how sweet! I wish my husband had a blog. Thanks for sharing the story, and keep on writing, Mike!