Thursday, August 30, 2007

Numbers, numbers and more numbers

Ok, here is my two cents worth on how many kids to have and why. Big touchy subject I know but read allong and maybe it won't be as bad as you think. I have friends and or relatives that have many variations on family size from no children (DINKS) to one child up to 10+. Here is what I think about those numbers.
The first child is the biggest culture shock. You go from being a happy couple to a crazy threesome. Sociologist say that triads don't work and I agree. It isn't fair for anyone, the husband, wife or the lonely child. I could make a bunch of observations on this but I think it is pretty obvious. Being an only child isn't all that it is cracked up to be and for you parents... If you screw up an only child it is tough to hide. There is no one to blame but you. You are the sole source of entertainment for that child and wow is that an exhausting task, especially when they are younger.
The second child lightens up the load a bit unless you have a boy and a girl. The picture perfect family eh? I don't think so. Having a boy and a girl is just like having 2 only children and it is a ton of work. Especially since they rarely have much in common for long. I grew up in that situation and it was no pic-nic for me or my parents.
The third is the toughest for you parents... You are finally outnumbered and it is really tricky. Now you have a triad just amonst the kids so someone is pretty much guaranteed to be left out. I do not recommend having 3 kids. The bright spot in having 3 is that you finally get to pair someone up. Somebody gets a playmate. What is the cure for 3? That is easy! Have a fourth. lol Seriously, I couldn't believe how much easier 4 was than 3, 2 or 1. Two diads. Wonderful! And just the math of it is so much easier. You pair two of them up. If they fight you switch up the pairs and if they still fight, you have another way to pair them up differently. A family of 6 fits into most vehicles easily. By the time you have the 4th the 1st one is old enough to help out with the new baby. It is wonderful. As hard as it was having 3 children I was pretty nervous about having the fourth. I couldn't believe it when things actually got easier! 4 became my magic number. Maybe that is why we have 8 now? I don't think so but still. It is a valid point if you think about it. After 4 it is all down hill from there until you get to 7. Once you hit 7 things get tricky again. Finding a vehicle to fit everyone becomes a challenge. Vacations are tougher because you outnumber beds in normal hotels and flying on airplanes can be frustrating. Oh well, it is all worth it in the end. Oh wait, I haven't made it to the end yet so that is still TBD. I have a lot more on numbers but this should give you a little bit to chew on for now. The floor is open to you for questions so please, fire away. DD

1 comment:

Toothfxr said...

Hey mike,

Interesting take on the number of kids. We have 4 now...I don't quite see it as easier than 3 yet...maybe if the oldest was more helpful with the baby! Number 4 is a pleasant little girl, so that part has been easy. Any thoughts on potty training an almost 4 year old boy who is either lazy or feels dad will always be there to clean up after him? We miss you here in Michigan. Take care