Monday, August 20, 2007

Passion

I have spent a lot of time thinking about passion lately. I think passion gets a bad rap. It is so important to be passionate. Passion is contagious. I am passionate about a lot of things expecially faith, family and philosophy. Isn't it more fun to talk to someone about anything when they are passionate? When they care? What are you passionate about and why?
I get all excited when I get to talk about my children. I get even more excited when I talk about how my wife and I met and the direction of our relationship. It is easy to get passionate about the big things in life but what about the little things?
Passion: the emotions as distinguished from reason b : intense, driving, or overmastering feeling or conviction c : an outbreak of anger.
So many of us live day to day as hampsters on the wheel. Why not savor the moments? Especially the ones at home. I like to sit back and watch the riot as it occurs around me in my house. This week my wife and children are out of state visiting family. I miss the activity. It is amazing watching the youngest of my children as the hustle around the house totally engrossed in whatever has caught their fancy. It is incredible how focused they can get on the simplest of tasks. Why not me? I am trying to dive into simple tasks with the same passion that they have. It is so much fun to get lost in the littlest activities.
I have an expression my friends know I use called "Zoo Mode" When I am out with my kids at the park, playground or anywhere else appropriate, I jump into "Zoo Mode" It is where I act just like them. It is so much fun and totally refreshing. I run around and play and it usually drives other parents crazy. TOUGH! Remember the point of being outside with your children is to enjoy what they want to do. Run, jump. roll around on the ground, swing on the swings, take the slide. It is awesome and your kids will remember it and love you for it. We always say, "I was a kid once too!" So here is your chance to prove it. Put the laptop away, turn off your cell phone and go for it. You may just burn some calories off while you are at it. Dads, play with your kids. They need it almost as much as you do. Play with passion, not to win. Dive into the role of being their playmate. Forget the mortgage, job and other responsibilities for a few minutes. We all know they aren't going anywhere but your kids are. They are going to grow up faster than you can imagine. Life races by if you aren't careful so embrace passion. It is awesome and will change your perception of nearly everything.

No comments: